Want to enrich your diving experience? Looking for a competitive edge as a diving leader? Want to gain a better understanding of how to safely mix breathing mixtures? NAUI offers both an Enriched Air Nitrox (EAN) and a Mixed Gas Blender and Oxygen Service Course—each designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge needed to safely handle high pressure gases, prepare oxygen-enriched air and helium-based mixes, and prepare equipment for oxygen service.
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates are considered competent to prepare oxygen-enriched air and helium-based breathing gases without direct supervision for use by divers, provided that the equipment used is the same or approximates that used in training; and to prepare scuba equipment for oxygen service, provided that they have been authorized by the manufacturer for servicing the particular brand of equipment being placed into oxygen service.
The skills you will accomplish during this NAUI course include:
- Demonstrating proficiency of the breathing gas blending system used in training, i.e., each student will be able to complete a blending and cylinder filling operation without prompting by the instructor and without error.
- Analyzing the breathing gas mixtures resulting from your own breathing gas blending practice.
- Cleaning, verifying and documenting one cylinder, cylinder valve, and first stage of a regulator for oxygen service without prompting by the instructor and without error.
- Filling a cylinder with a blend of EAN so that the final oxygen content is within ± 1% of the target amount.
- Filling a cylinder with a blend of Trimix so that the final oxygen content is within ± 1% of the target amount and the final helium content is within ± 3% of the target amount.
- Calibrating and using a helium analyzer to determine the helium content in helium-based gas mixtures.
Go beyond the basics. Choose to become more than just certified. Challenge yourself to become qualified as a NAUI Mixed Gas and Oxygen Service Technician! ■
If you do not find a NAUI Dive Center or professional in your area, please visit NAUI.org/locations for a complete listing.